Monday, July 28, 2008

Running out of non-local ingredients...


I feel like I spent the whole day in the kitchen yesterday. As always on the weekends, I was trying to use up all of the veggies left from the CSA share before we get the new stuff today. So yesterday, I made zucchini bread. That used up the last of our sugar and chocolate chips. For lunch I made Alu gobi with my purple and green cauliflower. It was definitely the most colorful Alu Gobi I've ever seen.

We had friends over for dinner, so I made Swiss Chard and Chevre Philo pockets (instead of spinach and feta Spanakopita) for an appetizer. For dinner, it was seared corn salad with the last of our canned beans, sauteed onions and sweet bell peppers, with a little Chipotle Pepper for spice.

So far, I'm loving the culinary challenge of using only local ingredients. We're getting more zucchini today from the CSA, so I'm thinking I'll modify the zucchini bread recipe (from http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/07/summer-of-the-bats/) to the following...

2 Loaves

3 eggs
1 cup applesauce or yogurt (instead of vegetable oil)
1 1/2 cups honey (instead of sugar)
3 cups grated zucchini-I used 2 cups this time, but I think I could add more...
3 cups whole wheat flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup dried local fruit

Preheat oven to 325 degree (lower temp because of hone)

Grease and flour two 8×4 inch loaf pans.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Mix in applesauce and honey, then zucchini.

Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt, as well as dried fruit

Stir this into the egg mixture. Divide the batter into prepared pans.

Bake loaves for 45 minutes, plus or minus ten, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.


We'll see how it turns out...

Once I run out of baking powder and baking soda I can always make zucchini yeast rolls.

No comments: